You’re about to apply vinyl to your flooring, and you’re looking for quality glue for your new luxury vinyl floor. The best glue for vinyl flooring is the one that will hold the flooring in place. Moreover, the adhesive will not degrade the vinyl, will not bubble or ripple. There are so many options available on the market; it might be challenging to choose the perfect one.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Glue For Vinyl Flooring
- 2 Best Glue For Vinyl Floor Tiles
- 3 Best Glue For Vinyl Plank Flooring
- 4 Best Glue For Vinyl Flooring Roll
- 5 Best Glue For Vinyl Flooring On Concrete
- 6 Best Adhesive Spray For Vinyl Flooring
- 7 Best Underlayment for Vinyl Plank Flooring
- 8 Precaution Should Be Followed When Gluing Vinyl Floor
- 9 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 10 Conclusion
Best Glue For Vinyl Flooring
You will notice immediately while looking at vinyl flooring that there are a lot of them around. They can be in sheet, plank flooring, tiles, and roll form. The type of glue you would require entirely depends upon the type of flooring.
The best glue that you can buy for an average consumer is the Loctite vinyl fab plastic adhesive. It’s considered one of the best options of glue for vinyl flooring repair and construction. The most widely available one comes in a one-ounce tube; for more extensive application, you might want to get a bigger container.
With the Loctite vinyl plastic adhesive, you get the following benefits:
- Waterproof glue
- Dries clear for both exterior and interior application
- Long-lasting strength
- Easy usage and application
- Flexible glue will not break down with age
Best Glue For Vinyl Floor Tiles
The best glue available for vinyl floor tiles is multi-purpose ones like Dap Multi-Purpose Floor Adhesive.
This adhesive comes with full instructions, and it is pretty easy to apply on the tiles. It’s a very sticky glue, lasts for a long time, and stays well in place.
For vinyl tiles, you want to make sure that the glue is durable and waterproof. You will also want to ensure that it’s easy to apply. Tiles like ceramic might get harder to use because of their brittle weight nature.
Recently, many of the vinyl tiles have already come pre-applied with adhesive backs. They can save you the hassle of installing any kind of glue yourself. Before applying any type of glue on the tiles, you should make sure the floor is clean, dry, and free from dust and oil.
Steps For Laying Vinyl Floor Tiles:
- Apply a thin layer of Dap multi-purpose floor adhesive on the tiles and the floor.
- Let the glue dry out for a couple of minutes.
- Attach the tile firmly with the floor.
Best Glue For Vinyl Plank Flooring
Vinyl plank flooring has become quite a famous option these days because of its wide range of styles, cost-effectiveness, and outstanding durability.
Before applying any glue on the floor, you have to make sure the floor is clean, free of dust. Testing the moisture and materials for proper glue application is a crucial step.
In our test, the best glue for vinyl plank flooring we found is the Loctite vinyl fab plastic adhesive. A thin, even layer of glue is better than putting a ton because of the bumps or unevenness it can create.
Steps For Laying Vinyl Plank Flooring:
- Cut down the plank flooring into even pieces.
- Apply a thin layer of Loctite vinyl fab plastic adhesive underneath and tiles and the floor.
- Make sure the glue is dried for a little bit. Approximately 3 minutes is enough for the adhesive to set.
- Put the plank evenly across the floor.
Best Glue For Vinyl Flooring Roll
Vinyl flooring rolls can be much trickier to apply than vinyl planks or tiles. When using a flooring roll to the surface, you’d want to make sure it doesn’t get dislocated or come up. You’d like to make sure the floor is immaculate and free of any kind of dirt and dust because they’ll make the rolling uneven.
From our experience, we suggest you use the RH industrial strength vinyl cement glue. This is a super-strong and flexible vinyl glue that also creates a seal with liquid proofing. It is resistant to very high temperatures and weather.
This glue is applied using a brush for an even finishing and minimal usage. Get a good quality brush to get the best use from this glue.
Steps To Install Vinyl Flooring Roll:
- Unroll the vinyl flooring and cut it according to the floor size.
- Apply a small coating of RH industrial strength vinyl cement glue around the flooring roll.
- Let the glue settle in for a few minutes.
- Apply the floor rolling to the surface gently.
Best Glue For Vinyl Flooring On Concrete
The concrete floor is relatively easier to work with when it comes to sticking vinyl flooring. Most of the available paste and spray adhesive will work with the concrete floor. Moreover, the glue dries out relatively more straightforward.
The concrete floors are relatively flat and smooth, which means with a little bit of pre-planning and cleaning, you’ll get an excellent finish on the floor. In colder regions, a good quality underlayment is a reasonable consideration before applying any kind of flooring. Concrete floors can get quite cold during winter, and underlayment will make sure your base remains relatively warm even during winter.
The best glue that we recommend to use on vinyl flooring is the Gorilla Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive. With a little bit of effort, the paste glue is worth it in the end because of its high durability and long-time usage.
Steps To Install Vinyl Flooring On Concrete:
- Clean up the concrete floor from any kind of dust and debris for the best smooth finish.
- Use an underlayment for the concrete if you don’t want your floors to get too cold.
- Apply Gorilla heavy-duty construction adhesive lightly along the sides.
- Use a brush to evenly paste the meeting everywhere.
Best Adhesive Spray For Vinyl Flooring
Sprays are easy to use and light adhesive for sticking vinyl flooring with the surface. However, not all of them are strong enough to keep the flooring stick to the ground for long. Contact adhesives are the best kind of spray glue found on the market.
From the variety of spray adhesive for vinyl flooring on the market, we recommend using 3M Vinyl Spray Adhesive. It is a neoprene-based contact adhesive formulated for high strength and temperature. This glue is resistant to high temperatures, can be applied easily, and settle down pretty fast. The recommended use case for this glue is vinyl floor seeming and vinyl floor repair.
Steps To Spray Contact Adhesives On Vinyl Flooring:
- Clean up the surface and the vinyl flooring properly before the application can begin.
- Apply the 3M Vinyl Spray Adhesive evenly throughout the vinyl flooring, making sure to give it a smooth coating.
- Let the glue settle down for a bit by giving it time to dry
- Apply the flooring evenly across the floor
Best Underlayment for Vinyl Plank Flooring
Underlayments aren’t an absolute necessity when you’re planning to apply vinyl on your floor, but they’ll improve the floor quality a lot. Underlayments help you achieve smooth, classic, perfect, and sound-resistant flooring quickly.
They are also great for overcoming various floor imperfections that just cleaning can’t get rid of. Your feet will feel comfortable and a smooth feel while walking on top of it. The sound absorption and temperature resistance is also a great feature to have in an underlayment.
There are a lot of great underlayments available on the market. Floorlot, Roberts, or First step makes some great quality underlayments. Before getting one, make sure to look at the reviews on Amazon to get the best quality underlayments.
Read Also: Glue for Metal Guide
Precaution Should Be Followed When Gluing Vinyl Floor
Gluing a vinyl floor is undoubtedly no easy task to achieve; it takes a lot of time and effort to perfect smooth flooring. Messing your floor up might be easier than you think.
So, we bring you a list of precautions you should follow while gluing a vinyl floor.
- Take a close look at your floor’s characteristics before applying the glue.
- Check humidity and materials for choosing the best type of glue.
- Thoroughly clean the surface from dust and dirt and smooth out the floor.
- When applying glue to the flooring, use a conservative amount.
- Apply glue to both vinyl and floor.
- Gently apply the flooring and smooth out the edges.
- Let the flooring settle for at least 8 hours.
- Never use abrasive detergent or scrubber on your floor.
- When moving heavy pieces, use a plywood sheeting path
- Use an underlayment for the best finish of the floor
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Will rubber cement work on vinyl?
Using rubber cement on the vinyl is not recommended, as it can adversely react with the vinyl. Moreover, rubber cement is not the most incredible glue to paste the meeting everywhere evenly for vinyl; it can lose its sticking quickly.
Will PVC glue work on vinyl?
Polyvinyl chloride or PVC glue can work on vinyl flooring. But it needs some preparation beforehand. You first need to mix PVC with a primer and then apply the glue with cement.
Does gorilla glue work on vinyl?
Some types of gorilla glue, like plastic adhesives, work great on vinyl. But the polyurethane-based glues are not recommended to use with vinyl as they can degrade it.
Can you glue vinyl flooring into concrete?
Yes, you can glue vinyl flooring to concrete easily. You need some heavy-duty construction glue for doing the job.
There are different kinds of vinyl flooring available on the market. According to your taste and your liking, various types of flooring can go with your home setup. Loctite vinyl fab plastic adhesive is the one that gives you the most consistent and durable result. We hope we could give you an idea about the best glue for vinyl flooring with our guide.