Are you searching for the best wood glue for your woodwork? If the answer is yes, this review will help you to make a good choice.
Wood glue is a woodworker’s companion. It helps you to make a lasting bond between woods and other materials.
You don’t want your projects to fall apart within a short period of time. As you consider your next woodwork project, choosing the right wood glue is what can make the difference.
Picking the perfect wood glue can be a big challenge amongst the thousands of the products out there.
You don’t have to worry. Our job is to help you make an informed choice. Read on as we make an honest review of the 10 best wood types of glue to strengthen your woodworking skills.
1.Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue
The Titebond III Wood Glue is one of the best woodworking glues you can find for best performance.Titebond III waterproof formula offers extraordinary bond strength.
It offers low-temperature application. The glue cleans up with water easily. It is non-toxic and solvent-free.This glue sands with ease without the use of a softener.
This is wonderful wood glue suited for both interior and exterior applications. The product is approved by the FDA.
- It is not ideal for filling holes and joints since it shrinks with time.
2.Gorilla Wood Glue
The Gorilla Wood Glue is a water-based adhesive known for its strong holding power. The PVA glue is easy to use and well-loved by carpenters, woodworkers and lobbyists for different woodworking projects.
It requires just 20 to 30 minutes of clamp time. It is extremely water-resistant and dries in a natural colour with an invisible bond line.
The glue has passed ANSI/HPVA Type requirements making it suitable for both indoor and outdoor woodworks.
When it comes to versatility, the glue stands out. It is appropriate for a variety of wood types such as softwood and hardwood.
- ·Curing time is 24 hours
3. Elmer’s E7010 Carpenter’s Wood Glue
If you are looking for the best glue for wood projects, the Elmer’s E7010 Carpenter’s Wood Glue is your best bet.
The adhesive solution is perfect for homeowners and contractors. It is easily sandable and paintable to give your work a perfect and admirable finish all the time. Cleaning the glue is extremely easy with water. The adhesive bonds so strongly.
It is easy to apply. There is no mess in your fingers or hand. One problem with the glue is that it dries up in a funny colour. It dries brown and not clear. It won’t be nice glue on white, red, light brown and yellow woods but looks good on brown surfaces.
- No smells
- Quick to clean
- Superior bonding
- It has a bad nozzle
- It does not dry clear
- The long drying time of 12-24 hours
4.FastCap 80113 2P-10 Professional 2 Ounce Wood Adhesive Glue
The FastCap 80113 2P-10 Wood Glue is a very sticky and fast-drying adhesive that is perfect for the bonding of wood within a short period of time.
It is uniquely formulated as it does not leak or run when being used in a non-flat surface. This is superb wood glue that works on different surfaces; not just on wood surfaces making it extremely versatile.
With an excellent gap filling capacity, the glue is perfect for different woodworks. It can be used to fix complex pieces of furniture or bond vertical surfaces that need a strong bond to avoid collapse.
Drying and bonding time is just 30 seconds without the use of an activator. Use it with an accelerator spray to cut down the drying time. The thick viscosity is industrial-grade and suited for heavy use. It works well on joints that have been stained. FastCap 80113 2P-10 Wood Glue is the best glue for wood furniture.
- Dries clear
- Bonds in seconds
- Easy to sand in less than 60 seconds
- Excellent for wood and non-wood surfaces
- Perfect for the repair of cracks
- It is tough to get the red cap off after using the container several times
- It is a little bit pricey
5.Titebond 1413 III Ultimate Wood Glue
The advanced Titebond 1413 III is made with a propriety technology that offers excellent performance in glueing woodworks.
Its unique waterproof formula has passed the ANSI/HPVA Type 1 water-resistant specification.
The advanced formula guarantees superior bond strength than many other types of glue.
With a longer assembly time and lower application temperature, the Titebond 1413 III is able to do a satisfactory job on any woodwork projects. It is non-toxic, solvent-free and easily cleans up using water making it safer than many other waterproof types of glues.
Titebond 1413 III is approved by the FDA making it the ultimate wood glue for both interior and exterior applications.
The glue provides excellent initial tacking and sands easily without softening. This is the best glue for woodworking.
- Long-lasting and durable bond
- Good for interior and exterior projects
- Water clean-up and non-toxic
- Excellent for heavy-duty wood
6. Elmer’s Glue-All Multipurpose Liquid Glue
The nontoxic and quick-drying Elmer’s multipurpose glue is the solution to all your glue needs.
This all-in-one glue is suitable for the glueing of wood, paper, ceramic, leather, fabric, plastic and many more. The glue is white and paintable. Its extreme bonding power makes it ideal for household repairs, school projects, craft and workshop applications.
This is the best glue to create slime for family or school fun time. The glue dries clear after application. Elmer’s multipurpose glue is versatile.
It can be mixed with acrylic paint or water to put pieces of objects together. This adhesive is clear white.
The product is gluten-free making it safe to use. It is acid-free, photo-safe and washable. Elmer’s glue is able to hold in temperatures of 100 degrees Centigrade and Fahrenheit. It is waterproof and water-resistant
- Versatile – This is the glue for all situations except metal. It can bond paper, wood, fabric, leather, ceramics, etc. It is perfect for almost all projects.
- Strong bond – The Elmer’s multipurpose glue has got strong bonding power to glue your items firmly and durably too.
- Fast-drying – It has a fast-drying formula that produces quick results making it perfect for crafts, projects and light repairs in the workshop, kitchen and garage.
- Ideal for slime – Make glue slime with Elmer’s glue to enjoy a fun time at home or school. It is the perfect glue for slime.
- Weather-resistant – The glue is completely weather resistant. It can stand against the elements anytime, any day. It is waterproof and water-resistant.
- Extra strong bond
- Ease of use
- Easy to paint
- Quick to clean up with water
- Good for slime
- The glue does not accept stains.
- It is not strong to bond glass
7. DAP Rapid Fuse Wood Adhesive 4 Ounce
The DAP Rapid Fuse Wood Adhesive is the latest advancement in the woodworking adhesives. With 30 minutes curing time, you are dead sure there are no longer delays in project delivery.
This is the right glue to take good care of your multiple woodworking projects. It eliminates the problems of glue-joint failure that is an issue with the other types of glues.
Apart from doing a good job on woods, the Rapid Fuse Glue is ideal for metal, rubber, porcelain, ceramics, glass, fabric, concrete, stone and tiles.
The innovative cyanoacrylate formula ensures fast and flawless repair. It sets in 30 seconds and cures in 30 minutes.
It is repositionable for up to 3 minutes to have a perfect alignment.
The glue has a professional strength bond that is 40% stronger than woods such as cherry, pine and poplar.
- Quick curing time
- Long-lasting bond
- Easy to use
- Good for both and indoor and outdoor uses
- It is not too strong for glueing glass to wood
- It smells
8.Aleene’s 15623 Wood Glue
When it comes to woodworks, you need a superb adhesive to make your work super strong. It is the best glue for cabinets.
The Aleene’s Wood Glue is fast drying. Applying the glue is without hassle. It is sandable. Apart from that, it is also stainable and paintable. This is multipurpose glue suitable for wood, household use, hobby, furniture, frames and general repairs.
The glue is strictly for wood to wood; not bondable with other materials. The adhesive sets fast and gives any wood material a permanent bond. Allen Wood Glue is super dependable for wood projects and furniture repairs.
The glue is as tough as a nail. It takes 24 hours for the adhesive to harden up perfectly. As nontoxic glue, it is very safe to use without any health consequences.
Allen Wood adhesive is ideal for both interior and exterior uses.
- Safe to use – The nontoxic formula of the adhesive makes it very safe to use for everyone including children. It can be lacquered and varnished too.
- Easy to use – It is super easy to use for different types of wood projects. Because it is fast drying, it helps to reduce project delivery time
- Super strong – It takes 24 hours to cure but the glue is extremely strong to make your woodwork projects perfect.
- All-purpose – This is a multipurpose adhesive for all types of woodwork especially soft and hardwoods. It works well for indoor and outdoor purposes.
- Ease of cleaning – Cleaning the adhesive is easy using water.
- It does not dry clear.
- Long drying time
- It is not a professional-grade adhesive
9.Starbond E-40 Adhesive Wood Super Glue
The Starbond E-40 thin finishing glue makes it easy to use. If you ever use the E-02, you will know this is a better adhesive. It is not watery. The adhesive is thin enough to penetrate joints, fractures, inlay materials and pores.
It soaks soft and porous materials pretty fast for full saturation. Using the Starbond accelerator prevents full saturation. This is a fast-drying adhesive, especially on wood.
It is suitable for sanding and finishing. The E-40 works well on rubber, leather, ceramics, metal, gemstones, rocks, fibre, fibreglass and some plastics. One great advantage of this adhesive is that it clears dry when cured. Depending on the materials, the maximum curing time is just 30 seconds.
For woodworks, the adhesive is great for filling gaps, knots and repairs. It is also ideal for guitar glueing, repairing guitar inlay, bonding dumbbell eyes, furniture repairs, bindings and purflings.
- Made for optimum performance – The E-40 adhesive is made to achieve optimum performance in different projects. It is an industrial-grade adhesive that infiltrates deep.
- Clog-free – It comes with a clog-free stopper that has a pin to prevent clogs. There are also applicator caps in case of future clogs.
- Excellent finishing glue – The adhesive is great for finishing, hardening, inlay, stabilizing and the bonding of close-fitting parts.
- Longer shelf life – The Starbond E-40 adhesive has a longer shelf life than most CA glues. This adhesive can last for many years even in the cold. It is advised to store the bottle at 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Strong bond – The bond is extremely strong and firm. It requires no activator.
- Easy to use
- Solid bond
- Quick curing
- Clog-free bottle
- Superb performance
· The glue does not clean up with water.
10.Helmar CHPG125 Helmar Craft and Hobby PVA Glue
If you are looking for the best glue for cedar wood, the Helmar and Hobby PVA Glue is your best choice.
It is an easy-to-use adhesive. It is ideal to use for paper, bookbinding, cardboard, most timbers, particleboard, MDF, balsa wood, fabrics, school projects and craft materials.
The adhesive is quick-drying and easy to clean up with water. Available in different sizes such as 50ml, 125ml, 250ml, 1L and 5L.
The glue is non-staining, non-toxic and safe for the use of children. It is acid-free and latex-free.
With the Helmar Craft and Hobby PVA Glue, your woodwork projects can now last longer than ever.
The glue dries clear. This is the best exterior wood glue.
- Strong holding power – The adhesive has a long-lasting holding power that bond strongly and firmly especially for wood to wood and wood to glass.
- Versatile – Versatility is one good reason to have this glue. It can bond almost anything from wood to glass, paper, cardboard and a variety of materials
- Water-based – Its water-based formula makes the adhesive easy to clean with water leaving no residues. This makes it waterproof and water-resistant.
- Safe to use – The non-toxic, acid and latex-free formulation makes it very safe to use for everyone including children.
- Easy to use
- Quick and easy cleanup
- Extremely strong bond
- Dries clear
· It is not good for making slime
Knowing the complexities of woodwork projects, it is important for one to choose the right adhesive to make your work rock solid. Whether it is a professional job or do-it-yourself, the wood glue you choose will make all the difference. These are what to consider when choosing wood glues.
1. Open time – The open time is the time when the glue comes out of the bottle and the time it is applied before curing. Some adhesive may not indicate their open and curing time. Do a little test to find out the open time. Drop a little bit of the glue on a surface and wait to find out its open time before it is applied to where it is needed.
2. Curing time – Curing time is about how long it takes for the glue to harden after its application to the surface you want to bond. It must be noted that external factors such as humidity and heat determine the curing time of any adhesive. It is also a matter of how the materials being glued react to the bonding agent. Generally, the curing time can be between some few minutes to several days.
3. Bonding strength – The last important thing is bonding strength. This about how strong the adhesive bond the surfaces together. PVA and aliphatic glues offer strong bonding strength than polyurethane adhesives when glueing long grain to long grain surfaces. But polyurethane adhesives do well when glueing joints that have end grains because they soak in so easily and it doesn’t cause contraction when it is curing. For long-lasting bonding strength, using epoxy adhesive is the best for structural joints.
Types of wood glues
Until the latest advancement in the petrochemical industry, glues were made from natural products from animal skins and milk. It is in recent time that glues were made from synthetic polymers and plastics. There are different types of glues based on their formulation. Here are the 7 types of glues.
1. PVA Glues – Polyvinyl acetate known as PVA for short is one of the commonly used glues for woodworking projects. PVA glues are also referred to as white glue or craft glue. PVA glues are water-based and made to be used on porous surfaces such as paper, wood, fabric and so on. PVA glues offer an open time of about 5 minutes giving it enough time for joint assembly. Excess glue can easily be cleaned with water. It can also be sanded when it is dry. 24 hours is usually the curing time for PVA glues. This type of glue is not suitable for structural joints.
2. Cyanoacrylate Glue – Cyanoacrylate glue is what is known as instant glue or super glue. This type of glue bonds both porous and nonporous surfaces. It is good for bonding metal banding and attaching decorations to wood. The glue is also appropriate for woodturners for attaching some pieces of wood to their work. Cyanoacrylate glues have a curing time of about 10 seconds. This type of glue is also used for crack filling and gap in different types of woods. Usually, the glue makes use of moisture in the air for fast and quick bonding.
3. Polyurethane Glue – Polyurethane glue is all-purpose glue that can bond any types of materials except some types of plastics. This type of glue is water-resistant and also solvent-resistant. Polyurethane glue is perfect for both outdoor and indoor purposes. The glue foams up and expands while curing. This is not the case with PVA-based glues. Its expansion makes it better glue for end grain compared to PVA glue. The opening time is between 10 to 15 minutes. Opening time gives you enough time for assembly. It has a clamping time of between 1 to 2 hours. Curing time is about 24 hours.
4. Cold Press Veneer Glue – This type of glue is specifically made for veneering. It is used in bonding real wood veneers to other porous surfaces such as wood, MDF and chipboard. This glue requires no heat for its curing. It can be used at room temperature with ease. Veneer glues have an open time of about 15 minutes giving you ample time for veneer positioning.
5. Melamine Glue – Just like the Cold Press Veneer Glue, the melamine glue is specifically made for nonporous materials such as vinyl, melamine, and high-pressure laminate. It can be also used on metal to nonporous materials like MDF, wood and chipboard. Melamine glue boasts of a strong initial tack and has an open time that is around 5 minutes. Like Veneer Glue, the melamine glue is also PVA based and can be used at room temperature. Its application does not require heat to bond and cure.
6. Moulding and Trim Glue – This type of glue is used in bonding porous and semi-porous materials. Its viscosity is exceptional. The glue is not made to run. Moulding and trim glue has a strong initial tack and adheres almost immediately after application. Open time is around 5 minutes.
7. Epoxy-based Glue – This type of glue has a two-process bonding way. The glue makes use of the glue itself and the hardener or activator. In some cases, the bond won’t be strong without the hardener. The two goes together for a hard bond. It is purposely formulated for the filling of gaps in softwoods and hardwood. Epoxy-based glues take some time to bond and clamping of woods is required to have a strong bond. Most of the Epoxy-based glues are made for indoor use only but a product like Titebond III can be used for both indoor and outdoor uses for any woodworking applications because Titebond III is water-resistant.
You cannot do without wood glue as a professional woodworker, carpenter, hobbyist or homeowner.
Even for DIY, wood glues are handy for a quick repair of some items such as a guitar and stools. Choosing the right wood glue can be a bit difficult. Our 30 hours of research has helped us to find out the best wood glue suited for your projects.
This is why we recommend the FastCap 80113 2P-10 Professional 2 Ounce Wood Adhesive, Titebond 1413 III Ultimate Wood Glue or Elmer’s Glue-All Multipurpose Liquid Glue to effectively handle both internal and external projects.
Choosing any of the recommended wood glue will give you an upper hand in any woodworking projects you handle.