Glass and metal are incredibly versatile and ideal for accomplishing a variety of projects. But since both of them feature very smooth surfaces, sticking them together is often a challenge.
Notably, most ordinary glues will not bring them together. For ordinary adhesives, they won’t stick glass to metal due to handling many other materials. Only the best glue for glass to metal bonding agents are suitable for most surfaces.
We review some of the most favorite options that you will find in the market.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 10 Best Glue for Glass to Metal in 2020
- 1.1 1. Rhino Glue Gel Heavy Duty Faster Stronger Glue
- 1.2 2. Gorilla Micro Precise Super Glue
- 1.3 3. Beacon Glass Metal Glue
- 1.4 4. Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant
- 1.5 5. PC Products PC-Super Epoxy Adhesive Paste
- 1.6 6. J-B Weld 50101 MinuteWeld Instant-Setting Epoxy Syringe
- 1.7 7. Yanyi Epoxy Putty Stick
- 1.8 8. TroySys Nano 470 Construction Glass Glue
- 1.9 9. Elmer’s E7502 4-Ounce Advanced ProBond Advanced Professional
- 1.10 10. E6000 237032 Non-flammable Clear Adhesive
- 2 Buying Guide: Things to Consider Before Buying Glue for Glass to Metal
- 3 4. What are the common types of glue for glass to metal?
- 4 Final Words
Top 10 Best Glue for Glass to Metal in 2020
Rhino Glue Gel is a commercial-grade adhesive that guarantees the toughest bonds between glass to metals. The clear super glue comes in a unique package that ensures that there is no clogging or drying.
Besides, it features a triple-distilled formula resistant to impact, heat, moisture, shock, and vibrations. These characteristics make the fast-drying glue ideal for commercial, DIY, and professional applications.
- It is versatile and ideal for bonding a variety of materials.
- The glue bonds in a matter of seconds hence saves time.
- A unique formula ensures challenging projects that are resistant to external forces.
- It comes at a reasonable price tag.
- You will need to use gloves when applying this glue as it is difficult to remove from the hands.
- The pack only contains 40 ml of glue.
The Gorilla Micro Precise Super Glue is a powerful product and a product that you will find pretty easy to use. It comes with a precise dispensing tool for controlled application.
The device that fits comfortably in your hand delivers smooth application with no mess. Interestingly, the formula features a unique reinforcement mechanism for increased strength and remarkable impact resistance.
- You don’t need to clamp
- It takes only 10 to 45 seconds
- versatile glue
- Included dispensing tool
- It is not easy to close the pack once you open the lid.
The Beacon glass metal glue is a unique model that comes at an interestingly affordable price. Yet, the 2-ounce pack features sufficient strength and practicality in bonding metals, jewelry, plastics, and glass.
Therefore, it is a multipurpose glue that can handle a variety of functions. The glue dries clear, leaving your glass surface clean and near original as possible.
- The glue won’t cost you a lot of money to own.
- It guarantees a super-strong bonding that is resistant to both weather and water.
- The bonding agent comes at an affordable price.
- It dries clear, leaving your glass clean and tidy.
- The glue takes about 24 hours to dry up completely.
The Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant creates long-lasting bonds. It is both waterproof and weatherproof, making it an incredible product for both indoor and outdoor use.
And while it is conveniently flexible, the product is excellently resistant to vibrations and impact. Again, this sealant is a multipurpose product.
It can seal, repair, bond, mend, and secure any materials ranging from fabric, metal, canvas, glass, or vinyl. It is recommended for fixing door frames, roofs, vinyl tops, car windows, and seams.
- The adhesive is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
- It can withstand a versatile variety of temperatures ranging from -59˚C to over 200˚C.
- You can choose from the three sizes available.
- It is safe on the hands and easy to use.
- The tube that contains the silicone adhesive is not strong and durable.
The PC Products PC-Super Epoxy Adhesive Paste used for better strength and various applications.
It is a unique product that helps to bond, fill, and seal nearly all types of materials. Interestingly, the adhesive allows horizontal or vertical mixing hence pretty easy to use.
The epoxy sealant is excellently versatile, strong, flexible, resilient, and cures fast. Finally, it is resistant to chemicals such as salt, mild acids, fuel oils, detergents, and gasoline.
- It cures translucent for a perfect blend with the glass and metal.
- You can drill, sand, paint, or saw the adhesive to achieve perfect finishing.
- It provides a long work time of up to 15 minutes for proper alignment and fixing.
- Easy to apply .
- It takes up to 7 days to cure completely.
The J-B Weld 50101 MinuteWeld Instant-Setting Epoxy Syringe is a two-part formula usable on nearly all materials.
The product is pretty easy to use and ideal for anyone looking to complete DIY projects from home. The epoxy features a tensile strength of 2300 PSI for strong bonding capabilities and will work well under ordinary temperature conditions.
This adhesive comes with a double sealable cap which ensure no leakages or drying.
- High tensile strength of up to 2300 PSI ensures strong and permanent bonds.
- It is ideal for sticking an array of popular construction materials.
- The adhesive cures in a single minute and takes about an hour to set fully.
- It is an easy to use formula hence ideal for various DIY projects.
- It has an awful smell, but that goes out after a few hours of exposure.
Yanyi Epoxy comes in a handy tube which makes comfortable and clean dispensation. It stands out as an adhesive that can incredibly handle anything that you need.
Thus, you can use the putty stick for fixing toys, appliances, furniture, automotive parts, and concrete parts, among others. It gives you up to 10 minutes of working time, which is pretty sufficient for most tasks.
- You can use the putty for a variety of applications.
- The product bonds nearly all construction materials, making it pretty versatile.
- 10-minute working time is pretty sufficient for a proper working process.
- It is easy to mix, knead, and use.
- The paste needs thorough kneading by hand before application.
The TroySys Nano 470 Construction Glass Glue is immensely easy to use which ensure versatility and strong bonds.
These features make it a perfect product for commercial and DIY projects. It provides strong bonds between glass and metal surfaces.
Moreover, it is also an ideal adhesive for glass to glass bonding tasks. The glue doesn’t need UV light to cure and will cure perfectly under efflorescent lighting.
- It doesn’t need UV light to cure.
- The glue features a very high construction strength.
- You can quickly apply it over the surface and let it cure.
- A 1kg package ensures that you have enough glue for a variety of applications.
- It is slightly more expensive than most standard options, but it is worth every penny.
Elmer’s E7502 4-Ounce Advanced ProBond Advanced Professional is a reliable adhesive for sticking glass to metal surfaces.
It is alarmingly versatile and ideal for various surfaces, including glass to metal operations. And the fact that it comes at an interestingly low price tag makes it a popular option.
It comes in three package sizes, making it easy to choose the appropriate one for your projects. Finally, the adhesive is useable on glass, metal, wood, concrete, ceramics, and stone, or a combination of multiple surfaces.
- It guarantees professional-strength bonds.
- The product is ideal for a variety of surfaces of materials.
- It is safe, foamless, and non-toxic.
- A reliable, weatherproof characteristic ensures that you can use it in all environments.
- It doesn’t work on aluminum but does well with other metals.
The E6000 237032 Adhesive guarantees unbeatable strength, thanks to its industrial strength capability. It is a strong adhesive that you can use to create strong bonds between glass and metal.
Moreover, it is also ideal for other surfaces such as leather, glass, ceramic, fabric, wood, and many others.
It is both temperature and chemical resistant hence ensure long-lasting and dependable bonds.
- Its universal application makes it ideal for a variety of uses.
- The glue is non-flammable hence safe in a variety of environments.
- It produces stable bonds due to its industrial strength capability.
- It is resistant to extreme temperatures.
- The glue doesn’t come out quickly.
Buying Guide: Things to Consider Before Buying Glue for Glass to Metal
While we have narrowed down your options to just ten choices, we still find it necessary to make your work easier. This section highlights some of the factors that you need to look out for when shopping for glue for glass to metal. Let’s begin the countdown.
Glues come in various packages. The type and amount of work you intend to do will determine the adhesive quantity you should purchase. Choose the right amount that will accomplish your needs. And if your glue of passage comes in a small pack, it is ideal to buy multiple packages of the same glue.
Choose models with the most potent bonding capabilities as only those can withstand impact, weight, and stress.
Beyond the strength rating of glue is the durability of the bond that you will create. It is vital to consider options that will create long-lasting bonds. But how do you determine the durability of an adhesive that you are yet to use? Well, weatherproof models will stand against the drastic effects of harsh weather conditions. You will also need to consider options that are resistant to high temperatures and chemicals.
Ease of Use
While using adhesives can be a big mess, some models are perfectly straightforward and clean to apply. Such bonding agents make using glues easy and efficient. Some of them come in packages with syringe structures for easy dispensation. On the other hand, an array of types come with dispensation materials for clean application.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of adhesive do I use to bond metal & glass?
Interestingly, various adhesives will work well if you want to stick glass to a metal surface. You can consider superglues, epoxy, or putty glues as they all work perfectly well.
2. How to Glue Glass to Metal
Both glass and metal feature nonporous surfaces, making it difficult for the glue to stick on either of the surfaces.
That’s why apart from choosing a unique adhesive, you will also need the right skills to get the work done. The following steps will help you accomplish the job appropriately;
- Scrub the metal surface where you intend to bond with the glass gently using fine-grain steel wool.
- Get rid of dirt and dust from both surfaces. You can use a damp piece of cloth.
- Use a dry towel to wipe out all the water from the surface.
- Mix or knead your adhesives carefully. You can skip this step if you are using glues that do not require mixing.
- Apply a thin layer of your adhesive of choice and spread over the surface evenly.
- Press the glass and metal surfaces together and hold for nearly one minute.
- Hold the objects together for about 30 minutes and then leave to cure as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Scrub off excess glue gently and clean.
3. What precautions should I take when gluing glass to metal?
While most glues are safe, you need to follow a few precautions to ensure that you do the right thing. The following precautions are to ensure that you prevent material, personal, and environmental harm.
- Read the instructions and information on the label carefully.
- Put on a pair of safety gloves when necessary.
- Test the strength of the glue on paper or small pieces of metal and glass.
- Do not leave the glue open and unattended.
- Do not keep glues within reach of children.
- Apply glues without being too close as they can affect your eyes and lungs.
- Avoid using your nails or teeth to break open any adhesives.
4. What are the common types of glue for glass to metal?
There are several types of adhesives out there. However, only a few of these will glue glass to metal and vice versa.
Still, the kind of application you intend to use the glue for will determine the adhesive type you will choose.
The following are the most popular types;
- Super Glue- Super glues are also known as cyanoacrylate adhesives and are the most common for bonding glass to metal. Besides, they also work well on various materials such as wood, leather, and ceramic, to mention a few.
- Epoxy Glues- These options contain two formulae. You need to mix them and in the appropriate ratio to ensure that they work efficiently. They are pretty versatile and ideal for a variety of surfaces besides metal and glass materials.
- Putty Glues- Interestingly, putty glues require a bit of kneading, and then you apply the paste appropriately. They are pretty okay for fixing window panes and other static glass and metal objects.
5. Is Gorilla Glue suitable for metal to glass?
Yes. Any acrylic based glue will conveniently bond glass and metal. Interestingly, the Gorilla Glue falls in this category.
6. What clear glue can stick glass to a metal?
E6000 will do an excellent job for gluing stick glass to metal.
7. How do you attach a glass tabletop to a metal base?
While gluing glass to metal is quite tricky and dangerous, it is pretty doable.
You will need first to clean the metallic surface on which you intend to create the bond. After ensuring that the surface is clean and dry, scrub it gently, wipe the dust and apply a thin layer of glue over the surface.
You can then place the glass accurately on the top and let the glue cure. If necessary, use some weight over the top of the glass. Note that the best types of glue for such applications are two-part adhesives(epoxy).
Gluing glass to a metal surface is one of the most complicated undertakings. At worst, the process I very dangerous.
However, this is something that you can easily do from home. All you need is the right type of bonding agent and adequate skills.
We have provided you with some of the best glue for glass to metal applications. We hope that you can now choose an adhesive that meets your needs.